2017 TEENPOWER YOUTH STAFF APPLICATION
ALL MATERIALS DUE OCTOBER 28
The following application has been made available for you to fill out online (Continue scrolling). Each applicant should also submit two reference forms, which will need to be filled out, mailed, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off in person at the YR office. See the downloadable reference forms below:
Online Application Step-by-Step
- Read below contract carefully and check “I accept” box at the end.
- Download TEENPOWER Youth Staff contract and print yourself a copy of the contract.
- Download 2017 Youth Staff Training Dates and check your schedule/availability.
- Type answers to all application questions in space provided directly below questions.
- Fill out reference information at very end so we can know who to be expecting reference forms from. References CANNOT BE FAMILY, YOUTH RESOURCES EMPLOYEES OR TEENPOWER COLLEGE STAFF MEMBERS.
- Download two reference forms (PDF available directly below this section and beneath section header “reference information”).
- Have references fill out reference form and either: Mail (instructions below) or email to email@example.com. References may also simply return the form to applicant, sealed and initialed, and applicant is responsible for turning in reference forms by Oct. 28.
COMPLETING THE APPLICATION
When you have finished submitting the digital application below, please mail or drop off the reference portion. ALL applications must be submitted electronically. If you don’t have reliable access to a computer or are having any problems with the online application, please contact TEENPOWER Coordinator Jeremy Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 812-421-0030.
References can be submitted by:
Scan and email (PDF):
c/o Jeremy Brown
PO Box 3635
Evansville, IN 47725-3635
Hand Deliver (Sealed):
4451 N. First Ave.
Lower level of First Federal Savings Bank
Use south side entrance.
A LETTER FROM YOUR PROGRAM COORDINATOR
Dear TEENPOWER Friend:
We are excited that you are considering applying for the 2017 TEENPOWER Youth Staff. Being on youth staff is a great way to get more involved and to carry the TEENPOWER energy to others! Please set your nerves aside as Youth Staff interviews are not meant to be stressful. You do not need to be an expert on summer camps to apply! You don’t need to have all the answers and it is okay if you are not yet ready to jump right into a leadership position. As a Youth Staff member we will provide you with the training you need to be equipped to lead next summer! We have already been working on the logistics of camp so now it’s time to get the most important people involved in the planning…YOU!
Below you will find an application to serve on Youth Staff at TEENPOWER 2017. As a Youth Staff member you will serve on staff at BOTH Middle School and High School TEENPOWER conferences.
The requirements to apply are:
(1) You have attended High School TEENPOWER as a participant.
(2) You are currently a sophomore, junior, or senior in high school.
(3) You reside in the greater Evansville region.
(4) All candidates must submit an online application and two sealed reference forms by October 28. References may also scan and email (as PDF) their reference forms to email@example.com.
(5) All candidates must participate in the interview sessions – interactive and individual.
Two interview sessions will be offered this year. You must attend one of the dates, and it is highly recommended that you attend both. Individual interviews will take place after the interactive sessions. During the individual interviews you will be asked a few questions by adult staff volunteers. They will only last about 5 minutes each; don’t be nervous – we just want to get to know you more! Youth Staff interviews will be held:
Wednesday, November 9th Interactive 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. & Individual 6:30-8 p.m.
@ Ivy Tech – Commons (3501 N. First Ave.)
Saturday, November 12th Interactive 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. & Individual 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
@ Christian Fellowship Church – Room 106 (4100 Millersburg Road)
Dress comfortably for both days, because we will be active and having lots of fun!
Your application should be submitted online and references should be hand delivered, emailed or postmarked to Youth Resources no later than October 28. Reference forms can be emailed as a PDF to jeremy@youth-resources, or mailed separately. Remember that references CANNOT BE FAMILY, YOUTH RESOURCES EMPLOYEES OR COLLEGE STAFF MEMBERS. Hard copies must be sealed and initialed on the outside of the envelope. It would be very beneficial for you to remind your references of the due date. If you have any questions, feel free to call me at 812-421-0030 or the fastest way to catch me is to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It’s going to be a wonderful year!
TEENPOWER Program Coordinator
TEENPOWER 2017 IMPORTANT DATES
Listed below are the MANDATORY training dates and you are required to attend the entire duration of the trainings. One non-school related absence is allowed. Any foreseen absences due to school functions will be reviewed at interviews. Please bring a list of these dates to interviews so we can determine if they are eligible to be excused. Please feel free to call if you or your parents have any questions about the conferences or training dates.
All trainings will be held at the Youth Resources office located in the lower level of First Federal Bank at 4451 North First Avenue. Please park across the street behind the carwash and near (but not blocking the ice machine).
2017 TEENPOWER Youth Staff Training Dates:
- Wednesday, December 7th (6:00 – 9:00 p.m.)
- Saturday, January 7th (9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.)
- Wednesday, January 25th (6:00 – 9:00 p.m.)
- Saturday, February 11th (9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.)
- Wednesday, March 1st (6:00 – 9:00 p.m.)
- Wednesday, March 22 (6:00 – 9:00 p.m.)
- Friday, April 7-Saturday, April 8 Youth Staff Overnight Retreat at Camp Reveal – Friday – 5 p.m. arrival. Saturday – 11 a.m. depart
- Wednesday, April 26th (6:00 – 9:00 p.m.)
- Wednesday, May 10th (6:00 – 9:00 p.m.) – All-Staff Training
- Wednesday, May 24th** (2:00 – 4:00 p.m.) – Make-up date
- Wednesday, May 31st (12 – 4:00 p.m.) – HSTP Work Day
- Wednesday, June 14th (12 – 4:00 p.m.) – MSTP Work Day
Dates for official High School TEENPOWER:
- Wednesday, May 31st HSTP Work Day @ YR 12-4:00 p.m.
- Saturday, June 3rd – Youth Staff checks in UE dorm at 4:30 p.m. to prepare for HSTP.
- Sunday, June 4th to Thursday, June 8th – High School TEENPOWER
Dates for official Middle School TEENPOWER Camp:
- Wednesday, June 14th– MSTP Work Day @ YR 12-4:00 p.m.
- Youth Staff checks in USI dorm Sunday night, June 18th at 5:00 p.m. to prepare for MSTP.
- Monday, June 19th to Wednesday, June 21st – Middle School TEENPOWER
2017 YOUTH STAFF CONTRACT & APPLICATION
As a TEENPOWER Youth Staff Member you are committing to be a role model and represent Youth Resources year-round meeting the following standards. Please remember that serving on Youth Staff is a privilege and requires dedication and responsibility. We will have tons of fun, but will always put the mission of TEENPOWER and the participants themselves first.
- You must be willing to work hard.
- Live a tobacco, alcohol, vape and drug-free lifestyle year-round.
- Support the TEENPOWER events in your school and community through your presence and hard work.
- Actively serve on a Youth Staff committee and participate in the committee work.
- Actively participate in all TEENPOWER Youth Staff trainings.
- Commit yourself to the TEENPOWER mission (see box above) and substance abuse prevention.
- Be open and honest about the choices you make in your life and how they impact your position on Youth Staff.
- Hold others accountable for the actions both at TEENPOWER and throughout the year.
- Be honest, trustworthy, reliable, responsible, and open to others ideas & backgrounds.
- Be on time and ready for trainings and tell the TEENPOWER Program Manager via phone, or email as soon as you know that you will miss a training.
- Attend the entirety of all training sessions unless you have approval to miss from the TEENPOWER Program Coordinator. Committees may be required to meet on additional dates if needed and determined by the Youth Staff.
- Assist with screening and approving all TEENPOWER grants after camp.
- Be a role model to your peers and the community through your actions and words. This includes actions, words, and pictures communicated via social media.
- Help other Youth Staff whenever possible and be especially supportive and inclusive of new and less experienced staff members and volunteers.
- Respect the authority of Youth Resources as a non-profit agency serving the youth of our community.
- Ensure that the Youth Staff (others & yourself) gain the most possible enjoyment and reward from the experience.
At TEENPOWER conferences(s), Youth Staff must be committed to:
- Provide a high standard of care for the participants at all times.
- Consider the safety of the campers 24 hours a day
- Do your part to co-facilitate a TEENPOWER Family Group.
- Assist and encourage campers to participate in games, icebreakers, and activities.
- Put the participants first by facilitating activities and actively participating with them in all activities.
- Set a good example for the participants to follow.
- No swearing or bad language.
- Wear appropriate clothing.
- Treat everyone with respect.
- Be enthusiastic and positive.
- Stay in communication with the TEENPOWER team including:
- With the Youth Resources staff, keeping them informed of participant and staff behavior. Behavior that puts campers or staff at risk should be reported immediately to the Youth Resources Executive Director or TEENPOWER Program Coordinator.
- With other TEENPOWER staff, offering ideas, support and encouragement
- With the participants, keeping them informed of important camp information
- Ensure the participants enjoy the TEENPOWER experience and that their health, safety, and happiness come above all else.
- When the Youth Staff is unsure of what to do, or how to handle a particular situation, it is your responsibility to ask the Youth Resources Executive Director or TEENPOWER Program Coordinator for assistance.
Disciplinary Procedure FOR YOUTH STAFF MEMBERS
It is the aim of TEENPOWER that volunteers will be given the skills, support, and training to perform their tasks satisfactorily. If a volunteer is not performing satisfactorily, the following steps are taken:
- Youth Resources staff discuss privately with the volunteer the areas in which extra effort is needed and define concerns and identify problems.
- If the behavior or attitude is continual, the TEENPOWER Program Coordinator may issue required disciplinary action or release from service.
- Youth Staff members with excessive absences or those that continuously arrive tardy or leave early are subject to release from Youth Staff duties.
- Disciplinary action, such as release of the Youth Staff from service is implemented as a last resort or to ensure the safety, effectiveness, and cohesiveness of the TEENPOWER team.
*Please note that the decisions made by the Youth Resources staff are final.
Youth Staff can expect the following from Youth Resources:
- You will be given ongoing support, assistance, education and direction from the Youth Resources staff.
- You will be regarded as a valued member of the TEENPOWER team of leaders who are treated equally and with respect.
- Lots of laughs, fun, and the opportunity to make a big impact on your peers!
I understand that by being a member of the TEENPOWER Youth Staff, I am expected to uphold all rules and expectations listed above. I will set a positive example for my peers and always do my best to make good decisions with the ideals of TEENPOWER in mind. I promise to be a cooperative member of the TEENPOWER Youth Staff and find ways to help others in positive ways. Further, I understand that if I should be a part of any activities or anything that would go against this contract or the rules/ideals/philosophy of TEENPOWER, I am at risk to be released from the TEENPOWER Youth Staff.
I declare that I understand the responsibilities and information outlined above and that I will attend TEENPOWER and all TEENPOWER trainings with the intent of fulfilling this role. If I am unable to fulfill this role I understand that I must notify the TEENPOWER Program Coordinator immediately. I understand and accept the above listed responsibilities for being a TEENPOWER Youth Staff member. By signing below I agree to meet the requirements to the best of my abilities and understand the consequences if I choose not to do so.
Please use the checklist below to ensure your application packet is complete.
Completed reference forms may be submitted separately from remainder of packet.
• 2017 Youth Staff Application (digital)
• Reference and Interview Information Form
• Reference Form #1
• Reference Form #2
• Youth Staff Contract (Accepted online, printed for your records)
Applications and references due to TEENPOWER Program Coordinator
Jeremy Brown (email@example.com) by October 28, 2016.