2017 TEENPOWER COLLEGE STAFF APPLICATION
ALL MATERIALS DUE FEBRUARY 24
Online Application Step-by-Step
- Read below contract carefully and check “I accept” box at the end.
- Download TEENPOWER Youth Staff contract and print yourself a copy of the contract.
- Examine 2017 Important Dates and check your schedule/availability.
- Type answers to all application questions in space provided directly below questions.
- Fill out reference information at very end so we can know who to be expecting reference forms from. References CANNOT BE FAMILY, YOUTH RESOURCES EMPLOYEES OR TEENPOWER COLLEGE STAFF MEMBERS. One YR-affiliated adult reference and one other reference (teacher, employer, youth leader, etc.) is required.
- Download two reference forms (PDF available directly below this section and beneath section header “reference information”).
- Have references fill out reference form and either: Mail (instructions below) or email to email@example.com. References may also simply return the form to applicant, sealed and initialed, and applicant is responsible for turning in reference forms by Feb. 24.
If you have questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org
COMPLETING THE APPLICATION
When you have finished submitting the digital application below, please mail or drop off the reference portion. ALL applications must be submitted electronically. If you don’t have reliable access to a computer or are having any problems with the online application, please contact TEENPOWER Coordinator Jeremy Brown at email@example.com or by phone at 812-421-0030.
References can be submitted by:
Scan and email (PDF):
c/o Jeremy Brown
PO Box 3635
Evansville, IN 47725-3635
Hand Deliver (Sealed):
4451 N. First Ave.
Lower level of First Federal Savings Bank
Use south side entrance.
A LETTER FROM YOUR PROGRAM COORDINATOR
Dear TEENPOWER Friend:
We are excited that you are considering applying for the 2017 TEENPOWER College Staff. Being on College Staff is a great way to get more involved and to carry the TEENPOWER energy to others! For the first time, Youth Resources is opening its doors to non-Youth Staff alumni to apply for a College Staff position. You do not need to be an expert on summer camps to apply, but you do need a passion for developing relationships with young people while serving as a positive mentor.
Below you will find an application to serve on College Staff at TEENPOWER 2017. As a College Staff member you will serve on staff at the High School TEENPOWER conference at the University of Evansville and also have the option of assisting at Middle School TEENPOWER at USI.
With no previous TEENPOWER staff training under your belt, there are stipulations and minor restrictions in place to successfully transition you into a TEENPOWER staff role.
Non-Youth Staff Alumni College Staff Applicant Stipulations:
(1) Live a tobacco, alcohol, and drug-free lifestyle year-round.
(2) You must submit one reference from a YR-affiliated adult and another non-family reference of your choice with your application. Reference forms are available below.
(3) All candidates must submit an application and two reference forms by February 24. References may also scan and email (as PDF) their reference forms to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(4) Upon application receipt, TEENPOWER Coordinator Jeremy Brown will contact you to set up an individual interview. Brown and Executive Director Laura Ferguson will conduct an individual interview and determine your status within a week of the interview date.
(5) If selected, you will assist fellow College Staff in planning and facilitating evening activities at High School TEENPOWER. Non-Youth Staff alumni WILL NOT be placed in a family group and won’t stay overnight during their first year volunteering.
(6) If selected, you must attend AT LEAST three family group trainings over a two-year cycle, and help plan/facilitate evening activities at one High School TEENPOWER, before being eligible to serve in a family group at TEENPOWER.
EXAMPLE: Joe applies for College Staff as a non-Youth Staff alumni in 2017. He attends two family group trainings with the Youth Staff this spring, and then helps the College Staff plan and facilitate evening events at High School TEENPOWER. Joe re-applies for College Staff in 2018, attends one family group training that spring and is now eligible to be in a family group for 2018 High School TEENPOWER.
Your application should be submitted online and references should be hand delivered, emailed or postmarked to Youth Resources no later than February 24. Reference forms can be emailed as a PDF to jeremy@youth-resources or mailed separately. Hard copies must be sealed and initialed on the outside of the envelope. It would be very beneficial for you to remind your references of the due date.
If you have any questions, feel free to call me at 812-421-0030 or the fastest way to catch me is by email at email@example.com.
TEENPOWER Program Coordinator
TEENPOWER 2017 IMPORTANT DATES
Listed below are the College Staff training dates. You are highly encouraged to attend each training to stay updated on TEENPOWER planning. As College Staff members, it is your responsibility to successfully facilitate the following evening activities: Sunday Night Activity at High School TEENPOWER (HSTP), Monday Night Activity at HSTP, and host the TEENPOWER Variety Show on Tuesday night. I understand your schedules are all over the place as college students, but please make your best efforts to assist in the planning process PRIOR to your arrival at TEENPOWER.
All trainings will be held at the Youth Resources office (unless otherwise noted) located in the lower level of First Federal Bank at 4451 North First Avenue. Please park across the street behind the car wash and near (but not blocking) the ice machine.
2017 TEENPOWER College Staff Training Dates:
- Wednesday, May 10 7:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. (Meet & plan w/ Youth Staff – Red Cross)
- Tuesday, May 16 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. (Plan evening activities)
- Wednesday, May 24 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. (Plan and train)
2017 Optional Volunteer Dates with Youth Staff:
- Wednesday, March 22 6:00-9:00 p.m. (Family Group Training)
- Saturday, April 8 8:30-10:30 a.m. (Family Group Training)
- Wednesday, April 26 6:00-9:00 p.m. (Family Group Training)
- Wednesday, May 31 Noon-4:00 p.m. (Work day for HSTP)
- Wednesday, June 14 Noon-4 p.m. (Work day for MSTP)
Dates for official High School TEENPOWER:
- Wednesday, May 31 – HSTP Work Day @YR 12-4:00 p.m.
- Saturday, June 3 – Youth Staff checks in UE dorm at 4:30 p.m. to prepare for camp.
- Sunday, June 4 to Thursday, June 8 – High School TEENPOWER
Dates for official Middle School TEENPOWER:
- Wednesday, June 14 – MSTP Work Day @YR 12-4:00 p.m.
- Youth Staff checks in USI dorm Sunday night, June 18 at 5:00 p.m. to prepare for camp.
- Monday, June 19 to Wednesday, June 21 – Middle School TEENPOWER
2017 COLLEGE STAFF CONTRACT & APPLICATION
As a TEENPOWER College Staff Member you are committing to be a role model and represent Youth Resources year-round meeting the following standards. Please remember that serving on College Staff is a privilege and requires dedication and responsibility. We will have tons of fun, but will always put the mission of TEENPOWER and the participants themselves first.
- Live a tobacco, alcohol, and drug-free lifestyle year-round. If you are not of legal age, alcohol consumption IS NOT permissible. There is no such thing as being responsibly illegal. If you are of legal age, it is expected that you are responsible with your choices. Glorifying poor choices or alcohol consumption through any form of communication (verbal or social media) will lead to your release from College Staff.
- You must have attended TEENPOWER as a former high school youth staff member.
- Maintain good academic and disciplinary standing at your college or university.
- Be honest, trustworthy, reliable, responsible, and have a positive attitude.
- You must be willing to work hard, especially in the planning of evening events for High School TEENPOWER.
- Be a role model to your peers and the community through your actions and words. This includes actions and words communicated via social media.
- Hold other staff members accountable for the actions both at TEENPOWER and throughout the year.
- Be open and honest about the choices you make in your life and how they impact your position on College Staff.
- Support the TEENPOWER events in your community through your presence and hard work.
- Actively participate in all TEENPOWER College and All-Staff trainings.
- Be willing to work as a team and be open to others ideas, concerns, and backgrounds.
- Be on time and ready for trainings and tell the TEENPOWER Program Coordinator via phone, or email as soon as you know that you will miss a training.
- Help other College Staff whenever possible and be especially supportive and inclusive of new and less experienced TEENPOWER staff members and volunteers.
- Respect the authority of Youth Resources as a non-profit agency serving the youth of our community.
- Ensure that the College Staff (others & yourself) gain the most possible enjoyment and reward from the experience.
At TEENPOWER, College Staff must be committed to:
- Participate in all training sessions and all activities the week of TEENPOWER. This includes planning and implementing activities designated to the College Staff such as evening activities, Variety Show, etc. plus participating in all other camp activities as well.
- Provide a high standard of care for the participants at all times.
- Consider the safety of the participants 24 hours a day.
- Do your part to ASSIST, not facilitate your Family Group.
- Put the participants first by actively participating with them in all activities.
- Encourage participants to be part of games, icebreakers, and activities.
- Set a good example for the participants and Youth Staff to follow:
- No swearing or bad language.
- Wear appropriate clothing.
- Treat everyone with respect.
- Be on time to all activities.
- Be enthusiastic and positive.
- Stay in communication with the TEENPOWER team including:
- With the Youth Resources staff, keeping them informed of participant and staff behavior. Behavior that puts participants or staff at risk should be reported immediately to the Youth Resources Executive Director and TEENPOWER Program Coordinator.
- With other TEENPOWER staff, offering ideas, support and encouragement
- With the participants, keeping them informed of important camp information
- Ensure the participants enjoy the conference experience and that their health, safety, and happiness come above all else.
- Do your part to prevent/deter poor behavior of participants and report any behavior issues immediately to the Youth Resources Executive Director and TEENPOWER Program Coordinator.
- When the College Staff is unsure of what to do, or how to handle a particular situation, it is your responsibility to ask the Youth Resources Executive Director and TEENPOWER Program Coordinator for assistance.
It is the aim of TEENPOWER that volunteers will be given the skills, support, and training to perform their tasks satisfactorily. If a volunteer is not performing satisfactorily, the following steps are taken:
- Youth Resources staff discuss privately with the volunteer the areas in which extra effort is needed and define concerns and identify problems.
- If the behavior or attitude is continual, the TEENPOWER Program Coordinator may issue required disciplinary action or release from service.
- Disciplinary action, such as release of the College Staff member from service is implemented as a last resort or to ensure the safety, effectiveness, and cohesiveness of the TEENPOWER team.
*Please note that the decisions made by the Youth Resources staff are final.
College Staff can expect the following from Youth Resources
- You will be given ongoing support, assistance, education and direction from the Youth Resources staff.
- You will be regarded as a valued member of the TEENPOWER team of leaders who are treated equally and with respect.
- Lots of laughs, fun, and the opportunity to make a big impact on your peers and campers!
I understand that by being a member of the TEENPOWER College Staff, I am expected to uphold all rules and expectations listed above. I will set a positive example for my peers and other staff members and always do my best to make good decisions with the ideals of TEENPOWER in mind. I promise to be a cooperative member of the TEENPOWER College Staff and find ways to help others in positive ways. Further, I understand that if I should be a part of any activities or anything that would go against this contract or the rules/ideals/philosophy of TEENPOWER, I am at risk to be released from the TEENPOWER College Staff.
I declare that I understand the responsibilities and information outlined above and that I will attend TEENPOWER and all TEENPOWER College Staff trainings with the intent of fulfilling this role. If I am unable to fulfill this role I understand that I must notify the TEENPOWER Program Coordinator immediately. By checking the box blow I agree to meet the requirements to the best of my abilities and understand the consequences if I choose not to do so.