2017 TEENPOWER ADULT STAFF APPLICATION
APPLICATIONS DUE APRIL 5
The following application has been made available for you to fill out online (Continue scrolling). High School TEENPOWER will be hosted at the University of Evansville June 4-8 while Middle School TEENPOWER will be June 19-21 at the University of Southern Indiana.
Online Application Step-by-Step
- Read below contract carefully and check “I accept” box at the end.
- Type answers to all application questions in space provided directly below questions. NOTE: Returning volunteers feel free to provide as much or as little info as you desire. YR knows you 🙂
- For new adult staff applicants, please thoroughly review the entire page for complete TEENPOWER details and expectations.
- Provide two character references (no relative or Youth Resources staff).
- Please answer background check questions honestly.
- Write a brief & fun biography about yourself including your interests, hobbies, family ,etc. to include in the folders for campers and staff.
- Once you hit “Send” at the end of your application, it will be directly emailed to TEENPOWER Program Coordinator Jeremy Brown.
- Contact Jeremy Brown (email@example.com) at 812-421-0030 Ext. 15 with questions.
TEENPOWER 2017 IMPORTANT DATES
Listed below are important dates to mark in your calendars. May 10 and June 4 are all-staff training dates leading up to TEENPOWER. Your presence is SUGGESTED on May 10 and REQUIRED on the morning of June 4. Additionally, we will meet exclusively as an Adult Staff on May 3 at the YR office from 6-7 p.m. Please make your best effort to be at the May 3 meeting, especially if you are a new volunteer! Feel free to call if you have any questions about the camps or training dates.
2017 TEENPOWER Adult Staff Dates To Know:
- Wednesday, May 3 (Required) (6-7 p.m.) at YR
- Wednesday, May 10 (Suggested) (7:30 – 9:00 p.m.) at Red Cross
- Sunday, June 4 (Required) (8:30 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.) at UE
- Sunday, June 4 – Thursday, June 8 High School TEENPOWER
- Monday June 19 – Wednesday, June 21 Middle School TEENPOWER
The May 10 training is a designed bonding time between our 38 high school Youth Staff members, 15 College Staff members and Adult Staff members. The training will take place from 7:30-9 p.m. at the Red Cross (off eastbound Lloyd Exp.) at 29 N. Stockwell Road.
All-staff training will take place the morning of June 4 at UE before High School TEENPOWER participants arrive on campus. Please make your best effort to be there by 8:30 a.m. to get acclimated with your fellow staffers and family group!
ADULT STAFF DESCRIPTION
Thank you for accepting or considering accepting, the role of TEENPOWER adult staff. This will be an opportunity you will not soon forget. As an adult staff member you will have the opportunity to be a positive role model at Youth Resource’s middle school camp, high school camp, or both camps! We appreciate your desire and devotion to substance abuse prevention and to the youth of our community. Get ready to be a part of an amazing staff and see lives impacted and changed for the better!
Who makes up the adult staff?
The TEENPOWER adult staff is comprised of 15-20 community leaders and volunteers. Adult Staff members come from the Sheriff’s Department, Police Department, schools, treatment centers, and also include counselors, TEENPOWER alumni, and fun-loving adults committed to sharing the prevention message.
Who else will be on staff?
As an adult staff member you will have the opportunity to partner with Youth Resources and the TEENPOWER youth and college staffs. Each year 35 high school students form the TEENPOWER youth staff. They interview in November and then proceed through trainings in leadership, peer facilitation, substance abuse, prevention, and intervention. The youth staff plays a major role at camp as they plan, implement, and lead most camp activities. In addition to the youth and adult staff High School TEENPOWER will have approximately 15 former youth staff who will serve on college staff and coordinate the evening activities.
What are the roles of an adult staff member?
- Provide support and guidance to Youth Staff
One responsibility of an adult staff member is to support and encourage the TEENPOWER youth staff in a small family group. These peer-led family groups allow camp participants to process and debrief all TEENPOWER activities. They are designed to provide a “safe place” for youth to be themselves and openly and confidentially share their thoughts, challenges, fears, experiences, and feelings about life in general. They meet twice a day for one hour each time and consist of 10-14 TEENPOWER participants, 2 Youth Staff, and 1-2 Adult Staff.
As an adult staff your role is not to lead the group, but to support the youth staff and help as needed.
- Be a positive adult role model for the youth
One of the goals of TEENPOWER is to develop healthy youth and adult partnerships. As an adult staff member you will be given the opportunity to connect with youth from diverse backgrounds. It is important that we provide these youth with adults that will display good morals and values.
- Have fun!
The entire camp revolves around FUN! From the moment the youth arrive at camp until the moment they leave their days are action-packed with exciting activities. TEENPOWER is a laid back atmosphere that allows the youth to interact with the adults in a positive environment. Past fun-filled activities at TEENPOWER have included scavenger hunts, talent shows, dances, movies, pool parties, and concerts. The bottom line is that kids like to have fun and it is our goal to make everything (from workshops to room checks) fun! We assure you that getting involved in all camp activities will be both entertaining and rewarding!
Where will I stay the week of camp?
In order to receive the full TEENPOWER experience it is recommended that you stay in the assigned dorms during TEENPOWER. All adult staff members will be given individual rooms unless a roommate is requested. We do understand that many of you do have family obligations and arrangements can be made allowing you to stay at home during the week of TEENPOWER returning to campus each morning.
Will I receive training prior to camp?
A pair of TEENPOWER all-staff trainings will take place prior to each camp (May 3, May 10 & June 4). These trainings will be an opportunity for you to learn more about TEENPOWER, meet the entire TEENPOWER staff, and participate in staff teambuilding activities.
What is the schedule like?
A camp schedule will be sent to you approximately one month prior to camp. As an adult staff member it is critical that you attend most camp activities. There are times when you can slip away if needed, and they will be highlighted on your schedule. Typically the day begins at 8:00 a.m. and ends around 11:00 p.m. The middle school camp will end at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June 21 and the high school camp will end at noon on Thursday, June 8.
2017 ADULT STAFF CONTRACT & APPLICATION
Time and Attendance:
- All staff members will be in attendance and actively involved during the staff training and orientation held prior to TEENPOWER.
- Staff members will be considered to be on duty during the conference unless prior arrangements have been made with the TEENPOWER Program Coordinator and should attend all events unless otherwise notified.
- For the security and safety of all participants, staff members will sign in/out upon coming and going from campus.
- Adult staff members should attend all scheduled staff meetings.
- Staff will not ingest any alcoholic beverages, nor use any mood altering chemicals, nor violate smoking rules and regulations and use of other tobacco products during the conference.
- Staff members will act as appropriate role models during the conference.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Staff members will assist 2 youth staff members in facilitating a small family group. Family groups will meet 1-2 times a day and consist of 12-15 members.
- Staff members will assist and participate in all evening activities as needed.
- Have fun at all times!!!
As an adult staff member of TEENPOWER, a leadership conference for the prevention of alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use and abuse, I willingly accept the responsibilities for my position as outlined below in accordance with the conditions listed above. I also agree to abide by all policies and procedures of the organization and to protect the health and safety of all participants at all times.
Applications due to TEENPOWER Program Coordinator
Jeremy Brown (firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 5, 2017.